The tradition of giving someone an engagement ring dates back to 1477 when Maximilian of Austria gave his bride-to-be a masterfully crafted ring as a promise of their marriage. Since then, across the globe, people dream of finding their soulmate, giving or receiving an engagement ring, and living happily ever after.
Unfortunately, life isn’t a fairy tale and living happily ever after isn’t always an option — even for multimillionaire celebrities.
Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. If you’ve attended college, your risk of divorce decreases by 13%. But if you’re a millionaire musician from London, since your relationship is essentially under a microscope, that percentage is likely much higher.
According to AOL, Adele, who is currently recording her fourth album, is divorcing her husband and father of her child, Simon Konecki.
In late April, the couple released a statement confirming their unexpected divorce, saying that the couple split up around eight months ago but are now making it official.
“Adele and her partner have separated,” wrote Adele’s representatives. “They are committed to raising their son together lovingly. As always they ask for privacy. There will be no further comment.”
It has been reported that the couple did not sign a prenup when they wed in 2011. If they file for divorce in the state of California, where they own property and Konecki’s business is located, she could end up losing as much as half of her earnings.
“What is made during the marriage is likely to be split on an equal basis,” added Sandra Davis, a divorce attorney who represented Princess Diana of Wales. “It doesn’t matter who did what, or who contributed what.”
As of May 2018, Adele was listed on the U.K. Sunday Times‘ annual “Rich List,” topping the Under 30 ranking with $182 million to her name.
Those close to the couple are confident that the two will be able to handle this highly publicized, high-stakes divorce respectfully because of the importance of raising their 6-year-old son Angelo. If a child is 12 or older, he or she would be able to speak with a judge privately regarding post-divorce issues and living situation preferences.
“Adele’s son is everything to her,” an insider told People. “Her whole life revolves around him. I just can’t see her divorce getting messy because she’s so careful when it comes to her son. She’s always five steps ahead in terms of how a decision will affect him.”
In Addition to Adele’s high-profile breakup, there have been plenty of expensive celebrity divorces over the years:
- Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor — Divorced in 2017 after 17 years of marriage.
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon — Divorced in 2014 after 11 years of marriage.
- Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck — Divorced after 10 years of marriage.
- Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow — Divorced in 2016 after 10 years of marriage.
- Jenna Dewan and Channing Tatum — Divorced in 2018 after nine years of marriage.
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux — Divorced in 2018 after two and a half years of marriage.
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard — Divorced in 2017 after two years of marriage.
- Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries — Divorced in 2013 after 72 days of marriage.